Cellular Automata Links
Go back to MCell Home
Below you will find a list of sites that were helpful in understanding Cellular
Automata and making MCell and MJCell. This links collection is also mirrored at the Open Directory
- Achim Flammenkamp's Game of Life
Page - Collection of resources on Conway's Game of Life.
- Conway's Game of Life Java applet by
Alan Hensel - A very fast Java applet that displays a collection of the greatest
patterns ever created in Conway's Game of Life.
- David Ingalls Bell's Homepage -
Articles on Conway's Game of Life and related Cellular Automata, free Unix software,
archives of Life and other CA patterns.
- Dean Hickerson's Game of Life page
- A collection of Life patterns designed by the author.
- Eric's Treasure Trove of Life - Eric
W. Weisstein's home page about Conway's Game of Life and related CA. Tutorial,
information, patterns, links, references.
Games of Life
in color - Black&White, Rainbow Life, and RGB averaging, by Gunnar
- Gliders in "Life"-Like Systems
- An online interactive database of rules with gliders, by David Eppstein.
and die - Game of Life in Shockwave.
- Jason's Life Page - Patterns and
resources for Conway's Game of Life and related Cellular Automata by Jason Summers.
- John Conway's Game of Life
- Simple implementation of GOL in Java, by Edwin Martin.
- Life32 - Home page for Life32, The
best Conway's Game of Life simulator for 32-bit Windows. By Johan Bontes.
- Catalogs and other information about Conway's Game of Life cellular
automata, by H. Koenig.
- LifeLab for Macs - Andrew
Trevorrow's Macintosh application for exploring John Conway's Game of Life and
other 2D cellular automata.
LIFE.M2M - Game of Life in
- LIFEPAGE - Robert T.
Wainwright's Lifepage; Lifeline magazine.
- Mark D. Niemiec's Home Page - John
Horton Conway's Game of Life, including complete lists and glider syntheses of
smaller still-lifes, oscillators, and spaceships.
- Paul Callahan's Page of Conway's
Life Miscellany - Patterns, Programs, and Links for Conway's Game of Life
- Stephen Silver's Life Page -
Home page of Life Lexicon. Life patterns, links.
- Artificial Life - Cellular Automata
- Online introduction to Cellular Automata, CA FAQ, description of the 1D
- Beta version of the CA-Browser, an innovative combination of Java and Java-Script that
allows to browse through a large number of one-dimensional CA-rules, by Martin
- Cafun - A powerful CA application for simulating complex systems; by André
- CAOS, One-Dimensional
Cellular Automata - A very interesting Java applet running one-dimensional CAs. By
- Capow - Cellular Automata & Electric
Power - Rudy Rucker's ongoing research project. Features new kinds of
continuous-valued Cellular Automata for use in simulating the flow of electricity in a
- Cellular Automata
- Introduction to 1D and 2D CA by Andreas Ehrencrona. Java applets.
- Cellular Automata - Good
source of information on history and properties of 1D and 2D Cellular Automata.
- Cellular Automata and
Complex Systems - Tomoaki Suzudo's Home Page concentrating on the
5-neighbour (von Neumann) neighbourhood. Java applets.
- Cellular Automata and the Edge of Chaos - David
J. Eck's Java-illustrated introduction to 1-dimensional CA.
- Cellular Automata Examples - Gil Bub shows how cellular automata are being used to model cardiac dynamics.
- Cellular Automata Laboratory - CelLab
manuals on-line by Rudy Rucker and John Walker.
- Cellular Automata Music - Music samples
generated using some popular CA rules. By John Elliott.
Automata Tutorial - an essay by Alexander Schatten.
- Cellular Automata Viewer
- CAV for Windows software by J. P. Prennar. CA and ALife links.
- Cellular Computations -
Theoretical introduction to finite automata, cellular automata, iterons and solitons, by Pawel
- Discrete Dynamics Lab - Tools
for researching discrete dynamical networks - from Cellular Automata to Random Boolean
Networks and beyond. By Andy Wuensche.
- Dr. J Dana Eckart's CA page -
Introduction to Cellular Automata, interesting rules, free software, links.
- Dynamics of Cellular
Automata - Rafael Espericueta's Cellular Automata Dynamics home page.
Emergence - Java-based active essay on complexity concepts by Mitchel Resnick and Brian
- Four-Dimensional Cellular Automata and The Game of Life, by Lee Meeker.
- From cellular
to cellular automata - Michael D. Bayne's CA survey.
Generation5 - An Artificial
Intelligence portal; news, essays, interviews, software reviews, bulletin
board; by James Matthews.
- A Java demonstration of cellular automata on a hexagonal grid.
- Howard Gutowitz's Home Page - Papers and preprints about Cellular Automata, Chaos, Complexity, and Dynamical Systems.
- IFIP Working Group 1.5 - IFIP WG Cellular
Automata and Machines home page. Resources on CA.
- Java Fractal & Cellular
Automata Nuts - Fractals, Chaos and Cellular Automata. Java applets.
Artificial Life - A collection of Jeffrey's AL programs,
including a very original "Breeding gliders with CA" simulator.
Papers on Artificial Life.
than Life - Kellie Michele Evans' PhD thesis.
- LifeBox applet - 2D Cellular
Automata Java applet by Scott Robert Ladd.
- Lotus Artificial Life - Reversible Cellular
Automata, neighbourhoods, billiard ball machines, Java applets. By Tim
- Mirek's Cellebration - 1D and 2D Cellular
Automata viewer, explorer and editor by Mirek Wojtowicz. Huge libraries
of CA rules and patterns. Gallery of CA rules. Java applets. Free 32-bit Windows software.
- Mirek's Java
Cellebration - General Cellular Automata Java applet running over 200
rules from 12 CA families, equipped with a big library of patterns. By Mirek
- MIT Information Mechanics Group - Research
regarding CAM-8 and Cellular Automata, and the physics of computation.
- Moshe Sipper's Home Page - Fine theoretical
and practical introduction to Cellular Automata, ALife, and Complex Adaptive Systems.
- Paul Saretok's CA Page - Cellular Automata
art exhibition with many different CA rules implemented as Java applets.
- The Primordial Soup Kitchen -
Colorful images and Java movies of Cellular Automata, with recipes to explain their
genesis. Also some tasty Real Recipes. By David Griffeath.
- SARCASim - Home Page of
SARCASim (Animation-Reduction Cellular Automata Simulator) and ARCAL language, by George
- SDSR Loops - Structurally
Dissolvable Self-Reproducing Loop & Evoloop, by Hiroki Sayama.
- Searching for Chaos in
Cellular Automata - "New toolsfor CA classification" by Paola
Flocchini and Frédéric Geurts.
- Self Reproducing Cellular
Automata Loops - Christopher Osborn's Java applet exploring
- Simon Benjamin's project display -
Original adding and multiplying CA, illustrated with Java applets.
- Stephen Wolfram's
articles on Cellular Automata - Technical articles by one of the leading CA
researchers, concerning both 1D and 2D Cellular Automata.
- Stone's Free Mac Programs - Many
free CA, ALife, and Chaos programs for Macintosh.
Universe - A triangular cellular automaton (with free software for
Macintosh), by Keith Wiley.
- A collection of interesting articles about Mathematics, Chaos, Fractals
etc. Some of them refer to Cellular Automata. By Lee Borell.
Visions of Chaos - home
page of a uniquely versatile Windows software by Jason Rampe. The
program covers Cellular Automata, Chaos, and Fractals.
- Webside CA - the ~Isle Ex~ CA Explorer - Powerful 2D
Cellular Automata Java applet by John Elliott.
- XToys - A set of Cellular
Automata simulators written for XWindows. By Mike Creutz.
- Zooland - The Artificial Life
Resource. A large (190+) collection of ALife and Cellular Automata links.
"Cellular Automata" search
the Web - AltaVista -
AOL Search -
Hit - Dogpile -
HotBot - Infind -
Infoseek - Lycos -
Light - WebCrawler -
Last update: 21 Jun 2002